| From Osiris 2009 |
It's really hard to capture the magic and mystery that is the Osiris ball, especially since cameras are not allowed inside (I admit that I did try to snap a picture with my cell phone - the results were less than stellar.) but I will do my best!
The theme for this year was Out of Africa and so the members who were not involved in the tableau were garbed in khaki and safari hats. I was pleased that on my way in my fur elicited squeals from one of the safari guides and it was deemed fabulous! There were sweeping swaths of green hanging from over the dance floor so the stage was set for the tableau to take us into Africa. As usual the tables around the dance floor ranged from truly lame (one table just had cups and programs) to spectacular and for the first time I know of we had spectacular seats! Our table captain erected tents over the tables, created a beautiful center piece, and then used all sorts of "out of Africa" themed swag to decorate the rest of the table. it was really impressive. We were also exceptionally lucky that our tables were located near the bar and near where the members were lined up for the tableau so we got a sneak peek before they hit the floor. (We were also really close to a monitor so we could see what was happening out on the floor, if you're in to that sort of thing.)
There are still customs about Osiris that are strange and fascinating...the Queen came out and made her laps around the floor and then they changed the music and she lip synced for a second song. I won't lie - I still don't get that one. Of course, I think the most shocking custom at all is that once Osiris occurs there are no longer "men's" rooms and "ladies' rooms" in that ballroom there are simply bathrooms and the criteria for which one you go into seems to be the length of the line. It's always amusing to see the look on someone's face the first time they come out of a stall and nose to nose with a member of the opposite sex unexpectedly. (However I must admit, this is my third Osiris and I still haven't seen anyone in a dress at the urinal, YET.)
By far, one of the funniest stories to come out of the whole evening was Schelle trying to get to the convention center - she took a cab. I know that sounds harmless but apparently the driver couldn't tell the difference between left and right, and then he asked if he could take her to Morrison's Cafeteria sometime for a blue plate special. $25.00 and a harrowing ride later Schelle and Kristy arrived at the ball, but it was several stiff drinks before they recovered from the ride down.
As usual, the tableau was rather long (Since Osiris doesn't parade the tableau is really their only chance to shine!) so there was about forty minutes after the tableau ended and before the bar closed for the evening at midnight. We did our best to hit the dance floor but it was inevitable that once the bar closed, the magic spell was broken and it was time for everyone to be on their way home.
MORE PICTURES TO COME - SHOULD HAVE ONE VIA EMAIL ANY SECOND NOW!

No comments:
Post a Comment